We stood talking. A list emerged – ways God had shown up in the most difficult and hard of circumstances. Each one a testament to God’s provision and His amazing care. It made me wonder about my list. In what ways has God shown up for me?
Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done. Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts. Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice. Psalm 105:1-3 (NIV)
Hallelujah! Thank God! Pray to him by name! Tell everyone you meet what he has done! Sing to him songs, belt out hymns, translate his wonders into music! Honour his holy name with Hallelujahs, you who seek God. Live a happy life! Psalm 105:1-3 (MSG)
I’m a list maker. Mostly, to do lists. Packing lists. But times God showed up lists? That one should be the list I keep making and adding to all the time. But that list gets lost in the details of days and the other to do lists that seem to be more important.
What’s on my list? How has God shown up for me.
- He gave me a job. In a time when no one was hiring anyone. I had a job – one that I loved. It came with people who supported and encouraged me. I was blessed.
- He gave me closure when it was time to move to the next position. The affirmation that I was not to be in the place of comfort any more but to step out into something new. Different challenges, adjustments to be made. He provided confirmation that I needed.
- He’s taken me places I didn’t imagine I would go. Words that I had never said out loud to anyone have been fulfilled. It was not how I thought it would turn out, but it happened and I have stood in amazement.
- He has given me peace in my singleness. It took a long time. He and I fought about it. I’ve railed at God. Questioned His goodness. Doubted His provision. Challenged whether He even really knew me or not. Turns out, He knew me better than I knew myself. He has been good the whole time. His character has not changed. He has provided adventures beyond my imagining. Opportunities to experience life that I may not have had otherwise. He has spoken right to my soul, revealing His tender Father heart for me. My God knows me. His peace has been a balm to my soul.
- He loves me. I can stop right there. My God loves me. Loves me so much that He sent His Son to take my punishment. Loves me so much that He desires to be in the deepest kind of friendship with me. Loves me so much that I can never escape it. Loves me so much that His forgiveness pours out in mercy and grace over and over again. Loves me so much that He reminds me of it regularly!
I have a list of God’s provisions. God’s wonderful acts have reached to me. How can I not pour out my love back to Him?
Pat Barrett God is so Good